Changi Chapel and Museum
The Changi Chapel is a replica of the one built by Allied prisoners-of-war (POWs) during the Japanese occupation of Singapore between 1942 and 1945.
During those dark days, the POWs found comfort through religious expression. The Christians of different denominations in the prison became united under their hardship, erecting the chapel as a place of worship and embellishing it with murals as a symbol of hope.
Today, the Chapel continues to pay tribute to the men and women who gave their lives during the occupation. The murals on the Chapel walls have been painstakingly recreated, and the Chapel also houses original artefacts from the period donated by POWs and their relatives.
Meanwhile, the Chapel continues to function as a church where sermons and services are still conducted. The Chapel and Museum are stoic reminders of a bleak chapter in Singapore’s past, one that has left an indelible mark on the psyche of this young nation.
Although it lies some distance away from the city centre, the Changi Prison Chapel and Museum is a worthwhile point of pilgrimage for those who wish to honour the memory of these brave men and women who retained their courage in the face of overwhelming suffering and danger.
The Changi Chapel and Museum is located along Upper Changi North Road. The easiest way to get there is by taxi. To get there by public transport, get on the MRT to Tanah Merah station and take Bus 2, alighting at the bus stop right outside of the Chapel and Museum.
Unfortunately, the Changi Chapel and Museum does not have a website at the moment. We will update you if this changes.